Swimming is one of the most popular sports in Australia. As well as being fun, swimming is a great way to keep fit and stay healthy. Swimming is a healthy activity that you can continue for a lifetime. It is a low-impact activity that has many physical and mental health benefits.
Swimming is a great workout because you need to move your whole body against the resistance of the water. Swimming is a good all-round activity because it:
- Keeps your heart rate up but takes some of the impact stress off your body
- Builds endurance, muscle strength and cardiovascular fitness
- Helps maintain a healthy weight, healthy heart and lungs
- Tones muscles and builds strength
- Provides an all-over body workout, as nearly all of your muscles are used during swimming.
Swimming has many other benefits including:
- Being a relaxing and peaceful form of exercise
- Alleviating stress
- Improving coordination, balance and posture
- Improving flexibility
- Providing good low-impact therapy for some injuries and conditions
Blue Mountains Leisure Centres offers swimming lessons for babies through to adults as well as stroke correction classes for all ages.
Swimming squads and swimming clubs are also available please at some of the sites. Please click on the centre to find out more.